Barracuda Convertible May Sport Alfa Romeo’s Giorgio Platform - 2017 Dodge Barracuda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Barracuda Convertible May Sport Alfa Romeo’s Giorgio Platform

Nothing official has been released yet but motoring.com speculates that the new Barracuda convertible could be based on the Giorgio platform that’s already being used in the Alfa Romeo Giulia.

Designed for the Giulia, this flexible rear-wheel-drive platform is lightweight with a low center of gravity and it’s claimed to have the best in class power to weight ratio when applied to the Giulia with a 50/50 weight distribution.

If the new Barracuda convertible really does share the Giulia’s underpinning then the body could be made of unitized steel with carbon fiber, aluminium and plastic used as well to reduce the curb weight. We may also see the Giulia’s rear suspension set-up in the new Cuda, a double wishbone with semi-virtual steering axle in the front and in the rear is the Alfa-ink rear axle design with vertical rod.

Its dimensions should remain largely unchanged so we could be seeing similar numbers with the new Cuda convertible.

Wheelbase: 111.0 in
Length: 182.6 in
Width: 73.7 in
Height: 56.1 in

Some of us may have been hoping to see the FCA’s Hemi V8 under the hood but with rumors of this iconic power plant being axed by 2019 we may be seeing it come with a smaller turbocharged engines.

What are you hoping to see in the new Barracuda?
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 02:30 PM

I'm hoping to see nothing less than another V8. If the cuda' comes with something crazy like a v6 or smaller even, I'd be pretty upset. That's when you would have to buy it, rip the engine and trans out, and swap in a crate motor. Preferably a 454 ??
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 04:19 PM

I'd like to see a V8 too but with the rumors of the engine being axed, it may not make it into the Cuda. Can the Giulia QV engine be used in the new Cuda? They're already sharing the same platform anyways.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 10:55 AM

As tough as this is for me to admit.. I wouldn't mind that twin-turbo v6 considering it pushes out 505hp.. and it really should work considering their using the same platform. But I'm sure even if it comes with that 505hp, we'll still have people LS swapping them lol.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 11:45 PM

At the end of the day, as long as power is their and is put down how it should, I don't see a problem. Some people are just way too attached to V8's or what ever old setup they've been used to.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 02:34 PM

That is true. But as soon as you relate the term "muscle car" to anything, immediately your mind turns to V8. It's only natural. Especially considering it being a "cuda", the last generation came with 6 different possible V8 options. Ranging from a 5.2L 318 to a massive 7.2L 440.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page