Compound Boost? - Page 2 - 2017 Dodge Barracuda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

They can't get too close to what they looked like though otherwise they would be way too odd. They have to look like modernized versions of the the retro designs. Maintain a balance of the two.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 04:32 PM

I think Trans-Am Depot is doing a great job in that regard.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:02 PM

Even if it's just very subtle and done not entirely in the way its predecessors had it they'll still sell these. At the end of the day no matter how they execute people will still buy because not everyone wants to buy some 20+ year old Trans-Am or go through the process of doing a conversion. There's a big PULL factor to buying something right off the line.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 04:42 PM

They convert the new Camaro into the bandit Trans-Am. You buy them just like that though.

Anyhow, buying something right off the factory production line is the best and most convenient method. You don't want to buy something brand spanking new, send it off to another company and wait another month or two for them to get it done, and then you get to drive it.

But that was just posted to be looked at just in terms of styling. They even developed custom modern snowflake wheels.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Okay I'll give it to them that in terms of styling, they pretty much hit the nail on the head bringing a retro vehicle into modern times. The thing I like the most though is that they hit the iconic points. The fender scoops, the hood scoop, and that bird on the hood. Still trying to figure out how much work it took to make that Camaro a T-Top..
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:31 PM

Forget how much work it will take, for most of us it will be well beyond what we know and the tools we have available, best to find a shop known for this sort of stuff, much like Drop Top Customs: Late Model T-Top Camaro Finally Available | Drop Top Customs by Convertible Builders, LLC.

For just under $7000 I rather go to them.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

I wouldn't tackle it myself of course, but I still would like to see the procedures they go through. How they reinforce the chassis, how they seal it properly, how they kept the car stabilized whilst there was two gaping holes in the roof. Getting down into it and learning about these things is what gets me ticking. Not the type of guy to just pay a shop to get all my stuff done and not look into it.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 02:06 PM

Unless you have experience doing this sort of thing or are well connected (which is a small percent of the community) professionals are the way to go. You can easily mess up a vehicle not knowing what the result of doing certain things are.

Last thing i'd want to do is compromise the vehicles rigidity.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

That's a huge part of it. You'll really have to reinforce everything before just hacking away and taking constant measurements is necessary. Gutting the interior completely so you can weld in supports is necessary and it's definitely not an easy task at all and a lot can go wrong.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 04:12 PM

Not just reinforcing but also knowing where to make cuts and that's the part which comes with the right information and experience, example... knowing where the spot welds are and cutting at that point, the most logical point, similar to what that very same car maker would do.

Odds are that is part of the overall practice that some of the conversion shops down south do.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page